Okay. It’s New Year’s Eve, and I’m getting older, and the payoff to ageing is supposed to be some acquiring of knowledge…with wisdom being the pot at the end of something.
The past two years I’ve learned a lot, possibly too much. I thought it’d be fun (right: my idea of fun is not much like anyone else’s) to attempt to sum…so here, the 10-1 countdown: (and if you’re in a happy place in your life, be thankful, and skip this entry)
10. Ask yourself why you’re unhappy where you are in your life.
9. Ask yourself if there’s anything you can do about it.
8. If the answer is no, change the answer.
7. Make every attempt to recognize happiness; it has a number of disguises. Sometimes it’s like Mr. Dressup.
6. Remember Mr. Dressup.
5. Know that you that you can actually live on one quarter of what you currently make. (It’s true; even if it’s one-quarter of nothing.)
4. When you find something that makes you happy (as in, satisfied), do it every day, even if it’s only for 15 minutes. It’s the every day part that matters.
3. Ultimately, this happy thing will bring you what you want. Other, less happy, things, won’t.
2. Other, less happy, things, won’t.
1. Read and re-read the picturebook Frank and Zelda, or Pizza for Breakfast. It was never meant for children. It was meant for adults who have given up belief in magic, and who don’t have a plan. Get a plan. Go back to #7 if need be.
Happy New Year!